Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Limeade Sparkler

I'm apologizing in advance for all the out-of-focus shots in this post. Not sure what was going on but I just couldn't get it in focus. Maybe it was the glass? The liquid? The lighting? My camera (it's old)? Not sure. I'll have to investigate.


Time to confess. I love Taco Bell's Limeade Sparkler. I find myself sneaking through the drive thru to get one when I'm out and about by myself. It's a bad habit. I know. I just can't help myself. The tangy lime, the sparkly bubbles, the cool clear glass with the two-tone drink. I've been lured in by the marketing, the presentation and the taste. They are just so dang refreshing on a hot day. If you live in my neck of the woods, hot is pretty darn hot: 105, 109, for a couple of weeks each summer. On a day that hot, you just can't drink soda. To thick, to syrupy, to sugary. . .even the diet. That's not to say that I've been cured of my Diet Coke addiction. I know, I know, it's really bad for me. I've tried to kick the habit a bunch of times. Gone as long as 6 months without, but somehow I'm always lured back. It really is my one vice. I don't smoke, I'm not a heavy drinker, I don't tan, we eat a balance healthy diet, etc., etc., etc.. Please forgive me. And please don't tell me how bad they are for me, I KNOW! 

I recently checked out the calorie content of the TB Limeade Sparkler and oh mama, 150 calories for the 16 ounce version. Whoa! I need to slow them down. Can't be chugging too many down without eventually packing on a pound or two. So, I decided to come up with a homemade version. The goal was lower calories, FOR SURE, and definitely bring the cost down, but still with all the flavor. What I've come up with is pretty good. I dare say I like it better than the TB version, but I'll let you be the judge. Enjoy!

It's pretty simple. Here is all you need: Torani Lime Syrup, Club Soda and a lime.

Fill a 12 oz. (1-1/2 cup) glass with ice. Don't pack it in, just fill it up. You could use a bigger glass but you'll have to adjust the syrup and lime.

Pour 1 ounce of lime syrup into the glass.

Cut the lime into quarters. You only need 1/2 a lime per drink so why not make two?

Squeeze the limes into the glass and go ahead and throw them in.

Now just fill the glass up with club soda. It's that easy. Doesn't it look cool with the two-toned drink. Of course you want to stir it up before you drink it, but I like to take a minute to marvel at the presentation. I'm weird like that.

Calories you ask? Not bad: 78. 70 for the ounce of lime syrup and 8 calories for 1/2 lime. Now I can live with that. I'm thinking and adult version might benefit from some rum or vodka but I'll experiment with that another time. 
Stay refreshed!
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment