Saturday, July 16, 2011

Banana Pudding


Well I'm getting a post in this week just under the wire. When I started this blog I set a goal to post a new recipe at least once a week. So far I've stuck to it, some weeks it hasn't been easy. But I'm committed, so here I am on Saturday, the last day of "this week" and I'm just getting this posted. Better late than never, right? I do have a good excuse, I was on vacation. And although I took a computer on vacation and uploaded all the pictures and my notes for this post. And although I had the best intentions to complete the post in my "free time", we were just having too much fun and I didn't get to it. Please forgive me.

Banana Pudding is one of my all time favorite things. Comfort food. Deliciousness. Perfection. Simplicity. Over a year ago a Facebook friend mentioned enjoying the most divine Banana Pudding. That simple comment set off a craving for Banana Pudding that needed to be satisfied. I scoured the web for a good recipe. A from scratch recipe. Boxed pudding mix would just not do! Link after link after link was filled with recipes using boxed pudding mix. YUCK! My perseverance finally paid off and I came across this recipe. It exceeded all my expectations. It's so good my son requested it for his birthday instead of cake and my friend Roger (somewhat of a banana pudding/banana cream pie expert) has declared it a favorite. Really, it's that good. So if you are using boxed pudding mix for your banana pudding I implore you to cease immediately and make this recipe.

My printed copy of the original recipe was posted at My Wooden Spoon in May of 2008 but it looks as though it's been reposted here. I've adapted it a bit for our tastes and added a whipped cream topping. I hope you like it as much as we do.

Here is what you'll need: flour, sugar, milk (I like whole milk for this recipe but 2% or skim will work.), eggs, butter, vanilla, vanilla wafers and bananas. For the topping you'll need heavy whipping cream, more sugar and powdered gelatin (not pictured).


Start by lining a 8x8 (or similar sized) dish with vanilla wafers.


Next add sliced bananas. Thick or thin slices, it doesn't really matter, it's up to you and the level of banana flavor you want. I slice them a bit less than 1/4-inch thick. If you are fussy about your bananas getting dark (I'm not) then you can leave the slices soaking in a bowl of 2/3 water - 1/3 lemon juice until it's time to add the pudding.


In a medium saucepan mix together the flour and sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Then add the milk slowly, whisking until the mixture is smooth, no lumps of flour. Set it over medium heat and whisk constantly until it's thick and just starts to bubble.


Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.


Pour half the hot pudding mixture over the bananas and wafers.


Add another layer of vanilla wafers and more banana slices.


Top with the remaining pudding mixture and refrigerate until completely cool.


For the whipped cream. Stir together the gelatin and water and let sit for 5 minutes. Then microwave on high for 30 seconds (or less, watch it close, it easily boils over). Let it cool to room temperature (5 to 7 minutes). Meanwhile, using a hand held electric mixer, beat together the whipping cream and sugar just until it starts to stiffen and you can see the beater marks in the cream. With the beaters going add the gelatin mixture in a steady stream, then add vanilla and beat until it forms stiff peaks. Spread evenly over the top of the cooled pudding. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


Delicious! I usually make it the night before because I like it really cold, all the flavors blend together and the cookies are soft like cake. Chill it at least a couple of hours before you serve it. If you don't want to take the time to layer the bananas and vanilla wafers you can just dump them all in a big bowl and then pour the pudding over the top. What ever floats your boat. Enjoy!

Banana Pudding
posted by A Cowboys Wife on May 16, 2008

Pudding:
2 T. flour
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
2 C. whole milk
12 oz. box vanilla wafers
2-3 medium sized bananas
1 T. butter
1/4 t. vanilla

Whipped Cream:
1t. gelatin
4t. water
1C. heavy cream
1T. sugar
1/2t. teaspoon vanilla

Line an 8x8-inch dish (or similar 2 qt. dish) with vanilla wafers. Top with sliced bananas.

In a medium saucepan, mix flour and sugar together. Add eggs and mix well. Slowly add milk and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and just starts to bubble. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, whisking until smooth and incorporated.

Pour half of the pudding mixture over the vanilla wafers and bananas, smoothing it out in an even layer. Add another layer of vanilla wafers and banana slices and top with remaining pudding, covering all bananas. Refrigerate until completely cool.

For the whipped cream. In a small microwave safe bowl, stir together the gelatin and water. Let sit 5 minutes. Microwave on high approximately 30 seconds until gelatin is dissolved. Watch closely and do not let it boil over. Let cool to room temperature, about 5 - 7 minutes. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream and sugar just until it starts to thicken and beater marks can be seen. With mixer on, add cooled gelatin in a steady stream beating well. Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Immediately smooth over the top of the cooled pudding and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. 

Makes 8-10 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment