Monday, January 16, 2012

No BBQ Tri Tip Roast


I never thought I'd say it but "I'm never going to barbecue a tri tip again!" There, I said it and although I also say "Never say never." this time it just may be true. Why? Because I've discovered the most delicious way to make tri tip right in my very own oven, in my nice warm and dry house. Don't get me wrong, I love to BBQ or really I should say "grill" but I'm a west-coaster and we say BBQ when we really mean grill. It's a regional thing, get over it. I love hangin' in the back yard, firing up the "Q" and grabbin' a cold one on a hot summer day. What I don't love is schlepping down to the gas station to fill the propane tank, then freezing my keester off in the back yard in the dead of winter. Although we've yet to have much rain here, once that sun goes down, it gets cold and gets cold quick and I don't much feel like bundling up just to go cook dinner. A bit of a hassle, or maybe I'm lazy, whatever, point is, it's easier in the oven.

What you need is a good marinade. Use a bottled one, your favorite recipe or the one I've included here, which came from my good friend Trish, which I pretty much use to marinate everything. You're also going to need a cast iron skillet. At least 10 inches, 12 inches would be better. If you don't have a cast iron skillet then stop reading this blog and get one IMMEDIATELY. They really aren't too expensive and will last you a lifetime. Seriously, get one! Then get to making this delicious No BBQ Tri Tip Roast.

Start with the marinade. Just five simple pantry ingredients: soy sauce, vegetable oil, wine (cooking sherry, marsala, any wine will do.), garlic (Fresh minced is best but you can use garlic powder in a pinch. . .I was in a pinch.), ground ginger. You're also gunna need a tri tip roast.


Whisk together all the marinade ingredients.


Put the roast in a large zipper bag and set it in a bowl.


Pour in the marinade, squish out all the air and zip it up. Let it set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, up to overnight, turning it over several times.


Set your oven to 400°F. Get a cast iron skillet, at least a 10-inch one, and heat up a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Get it good and hot.


Remove the tri tip from the marinate and scrape/shake off the excess marinade.
Carefully lay it in the hot pan and sear about 3-4 minutes.


Then flip it over and sear the other side, 3-4 minutes again. You want a nice crusty caramelization on both sides. YUM! Once both sides are well seared, put the whole thing (skillet and roast) into the preheated 400°F oven for 25-35 minutes. For medium rare at the thickest part, cook until a thermometer reads about 130°F.  Remove from oven and cover loosely with foil. Let rest 10-15 minutes.


Remove to a cutting board and slice it up. Yummy, yum, yum. Perfect, warm, and pink. Add some barbecue sauce and buns for tri tip sandwiches or slice into strips for quick fajitas. A great way to fix tri tip without the barbeque.




No BBQ Tri Tip Roast


2-1/2 to 3 lb. Tri Tip Roast


Marinade:
1/2 C. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 t. garlic powder)
1/4 C. wine
1/4 C. vegetable oil
2 T. powdered ginger


3 T. olive oil


Place roast in a large zipper bag. Whisk together marinade ingredients and pour over roast. Squeeze out all air from bag and seal. Place in a large bowl and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight), turning over frequently.


Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet (10 inches or larger.) over medium high heat.  Remove roast from marinade and shake/scrape off excess marinade from surface of roast. Sear roast in hot skillet 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place skillet with roast on the center rack of the oven and roast for 25-35 minutes (medium rare), until thermometer reads 130°F in thickest part of meat. Roast longer for medium or well done meat. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let set for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Please do, and let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Was fantastic with my homemade marinade came out great

      Delete
  2. If you are going to make this, follow the cooking directions to the letter and you will not be disappointed. I tend to over cook beef, but this was a nice rare/medium rare in the right spots. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, I'm so glad this worked for you. I have used this method 7+ times and it works perfectly every time. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. It makes my day! :) Becky

      Delete
  3. I'm new to roasting in cast iron. When you remove the roast from the oven and cover; do you take it out of the skillet, or leave it in the skillet covered? I imagine the heat of the skillet will affect the cooking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, yes the heat from the skillet will continue to cook the meat. It's called "carry over cooking" and happens even if you take the meat out of the skillet due to the heat the meat retains. I take the meat out of the oven when it registers 130°F at the thickest part, then remove the meat from the skillet to a cutting board and loosely cover with foil. After it rests for 10-15 minutes the meat ends up at about 140°F due to the carry over cooking." Medium (a warm but light pink center) is at about 140°F. This is how I like it. If you like it more rare then take it out of the skillet and don't cover with foil. If you like it more done then leave in the skillet and cover with foil. Letting the meat rest for 10-15 minutes is very important no matter how rare or done the meat as it allows the juices to settle back into the meat and you'll get juicier slices. Hope this helps and thanks for reading my blog!
      :) Becky

      Delete
    2. Tried it, very happy with the outcome.thanks for sharing

      Delete
    3. This is the only way I cook my tri tip!

      Delete
  4. Very very good... a lot easier than the grill and very tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, so glad this recipe worked out for you. This is my families favorite way to have Tri Tip. Thanks for reading my blog and pass it along. :) Becky

      Delete
  5. I was a little skeptical about this recipe but it was awesome!! I marinated it with liquid smoke also and went by the shortest times. It turned out just the way we like it pink and perfect.
    Thank you Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy, So glad you liked the recipe and that it turned out well for you. I haven't BBQ'd a tri tip since discovering this cooking method. Works for us every time. Enjoy!
      Becky

      Delete
  6. I have spent a lot of the time in different blogs but this is really a unique blog for me.visit us

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing - making it for the second time. It doesn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this tonight, have been cooking with cast iron for years and was always afraid to put it in the oven thinking it would overcook the meat. Thank you for the awesome trick. Now I will cook many other meats like this, made a super tri tip, though I prefer my green egg but was out of charcoal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kylee-
    So glad you liked it. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you like it! Thanks for reading my blog. Makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make it this way and like it so much more then on my green egg. I do not cook with nothing but cast iron. Thank you! Also, bread is so good to make with a cast iron. I use all lodge products!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you cover the cast iron pan in the oven

    ReplyDelete