Friday, June 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie


When I saw this recipe on the Tasty Kitchen Blog I knew I had to make it ASAP. So urgent was my quest to make this cookie that I went right out and bought the first 8-inch cast iron skillet I could find. (Can't believe I didn't already have one.) No, I didn't shop around for a deal, search the internet and wait for it to be shipped (my usual M.O.) I just snatched up the first one I saw. Was it a deal? Did I pay way too much? I didn't care, and don't want to know. All I knew what this cookie had to be made, at any expense. And so it was made. . .

Do you blame me? Who can resist a hot chewy chocolate chip cookie, served warm with vanilla ice cream. What's not to love. The fact that you make the whole thing in one pan - no sifting, mixing bowls, no separating ingredients, just one 8-inch skillet (and it must, must, must be cast iron) - it's just the "icing on the cake" or cookie, or whatever, you know what I mean. So, make this cookie. . .NOW!



 Here's what you need: butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, an egg, AP flour, baking soda, chocolate chips (or chunks) and salt (which I forgot to put in the picture.) You also need an 8-inch cast iron skillet.

Start by melting the butter right in the skillet.

Add the sugars, give it a good stir and remove from the heat.

Stir in the vanilla and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.

You want it cool enough that you don't cook the egg. So when you think its cool enough add the egg and blend it in well. This took some work using a wooden spoon, like I did. Next time I'll use a fork.

Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt. Start slow and keep at it until you have a nice smooth batter. Or dough. Not sure what to call it, the texture is somewhere between a batter and a dough. Is it Bough? Or Datter? Whatever, it's good!

Now add the chocolate chips. My batter/dough was still pretty warm so the chips started to melt a bit. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I think next time I'll let it cool a bit so I have more "chunks" of chocolate in the finished cookie.

Smooth the batter/dough. And off it goes to the oven. 350°F for 15-25 minutes depending on how gooey you want the middle. I went about 20 minutes.

Here's what it looks like right out of the oven. A puffy, crispy top and edges and a gooey middle.

Serve it hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Summer heaven!

I think I also try this gluten free version for my friend Shelley. Yummy!

NOTE: This is one of those "make it and serve it" kind of recipes. Once cooked, it doesn't really save. The textures are best when it's hot. You probably could mix it up and park it in the fridge until a half hour before you want to serve it, then pop it in the oven. I'm guessing that you'll need to cook it a bit longer. I'll try that next time. This would be perfect for a Bunko Party, Slumber Party or Backyard BBQ.

Here's the link to the recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment