Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grilled Cheese and Jam, BAM!


Am I the last person to this party?
Or am I an innovator?
Have people been doing this for ages?
Or am I about to start a new craze?

Some things are just so simple that when you discover them you feel like a complete idiot that you hadn't thought of it. This delicious creation made me feel like the most complete of complete idiots. I know what you're thinking, grilled cheese and jam? What? Gross! But wait, it makes perfect sense. Cheese and fruit have been paired since the dawn of time. Have you ever seen a cheese board that didn't include fruit? Seriously, have you? And what do they serve with the classic Monte Cristo Sandwich? Why jam of course. 

I know, you've got reservations, I had them as well. When our friend Katie told me about this sinfully delicious creation I was totes skeptical. I mean grilled cheese is perfect as is. Did I have it in me to desecrate my beloved Grilled Cheese. But I fancy myself a culinary adventurer so I decided to give it a try. Whoa nelly! I am so so so glad I did. I may never eat grilled cheese without jam again. It's that good. Please, if you've got an ounce of adventure in you, try this sandwich!



This is it: jam (Any flavor, whatever you like. I was very fortunate to have some homemade Three Berry Jam from my friend Jon.), cheese (Again, whatever you like, I'm using cheddar.) bread (has to be sourdough) and butter (not pictured).

Cheese goes on one side, jam on the other.

Put the side together and butter the bread. Then grill it up, just like any old grilled cheese sandwich. I use a cast iron griddle and like to grill over medium heat with the cheese side down first.

Try not to inhale it all in one bite. 

You can use any combination of bread, cheese and jam that you like. The possibilities are endless. After I made my first sandwich, just like the one pictured, I tried to get all fancypants about it. Artisan bread, expensive tangy swiss cheese and fancy preserves. Truth be told, I like this one better: plain old cheddar, prepackaged sliced sourdough from the grocery store and Jon's homemade jam. Sometimes it's just best to keep is simple. Enjoy!

Grilled Cheese and Jam Sandwich
2 oz. Cheese - any variety
2-3 T. Jam, jelly preserves - any variety)
2 slices bread - any variety

Lay cheese on one bread slice and spread jam on the other. Put them together and lightly butter the outsides of the bread. Grill over medium heat on a griddle or skillet with cheese side down. Once one side is crispy and toasted flip and grill the other side. Remove from heat and let cool for 2-3 minutes before eating. Serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment