Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fruit Salsa


This is the perfect appetizer for 4th of July. It's simple, delicious and guilt free. Well, ok, it does have sugar but it also has lots of fresh fruit. Oh and it's pretty. Bright red and shiny. Perfect for your next BBQ. I love to bring this to our friend's houses because it's unexpected. It totally outshines the standard old cut fruit platter but still brings fruit to the party. Why risk being another creamy chip and dip offering, go for the fruit. 

And I have to give a shout out to my friend Tabetha. Years ago she hosted a recipe exchange and this (her recipe) is one of the recipes I walked away with and have used again and again. I hope you will to. Thanks Tabetha!



Here are the goods: kiwis, golden delicious apples (or any apples you like), raspberries, strawberries, sugar, brown sugar and any flavor fruit preserves
(I used strawberry but apricot would be great.).


Start by peeling and dicing the kiwis and dump them into a bowl.


Give the raspberries a rough chop and toss them in with the kiwis.
(Yikes, this is a blurry picture. Stupid camera!)


Rough chop the strawberries (into bigger chunks than the kiwis). 
Oh and when you're standing in line at Sur La Table, and they have super cute polka dot paring knives on clearance for $4.99, you buy one. I'm just sayin. . . 


Peel and chop the apples. I don't like when my apples get brown and slimy so I give them a dip in some water and lemon juice. This is totally optional. Just make sure you drain them before you add them in with the rest of the fruit.


So here is all the fruit in one big bowl. I started with a much smaller bowl and quickly realized I would need a bigger one. You want to have plenty of room.
Add in the sugars and fruit preserves.


Give it a good stir, really mix it up and park it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes but 1/2 and hour is better. I just love the color.


I like to serve this with cinnamon sugar pita chips.
(Stacey's makes some great ones and you can also find them at Trader Joe's.)
It's a great summer appetizer or dessert. Unexpected and fresh!

Fruit Salsa
2 kiwis - peeled and diced small
2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced medium
8 oz. raspberries
1 lb. strawberries - diced medium
2 T. sugar
1T. brown sugar
3 T. fruit preserved, any flavor

In a large bowl thoroughly mix all ingredients.  Cover and chill for at least 15 minutes.
Serve with cinnamon sugar pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment