Sunday, March 17, 2013

7Up Biscuits


Up until recently, and when I say recently, I mean last week, I've kind of looked down on Bisquick. I've kind of been a snob about it. I had a tude. The roots of my disdain lie in my childhood. As I've mentioned before, my mom didn't like to cook. She was a good cook, when she wanted to be, but she just didn't enjoy it. So, any way that she could find a shortcut, she did. And so Bisquick was a big player in her kitchen. Not just for pancakes or biscuits, but for everything. Pie crust, cinnamon rolls, and a whole slew of "Impossible Pies". Lots of dishes had that buttermilk tang that you only get with Bisquick. So when I started exploring my love of cooking I vowed not to shortcut with Bisquick. Not this gal. No siree bob! I was a "real" cook, who used "real" ingredients. No short-cutted, Bisquick-tanged dishes for me. And a snob was born.

Then I saw these biscuits on Pinterest. There looked so fluffy, so tender, so moist. I just had to give the recipe a try. So, I linked on over to this blog:  http://janellescookbook.blogspot.com/2010/10/7-up-biscuits.html and imagine my shock when I saw the recipe used Bisquick. So, I overcame my snobbery, bought some Bisquick and decided to give it a go. . .


4 simple ingredients: Bisquick, sour cream, 7Up and butter.

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Put the butter into an 8x8 pyrex dish and microwave 30 seconds at a time until butter is almost melted. Set this aside. If you don't have or don't want to use a pyrex dish, you can melt the butter on the stove or in the microwave and pour it into an 8x8 baking pan. But, seriously, why dirty up an extra dish?

Stir together the Bisquick and sour cream. Use a fork and cut it in until you have a course mixture.

Stir in the 7Up and keep stirring until a soft dough comes together.

On a surface lightly dusted with more Bisquick or flour, pat the dough into an 8x8 square and cut evenly into 16 squares.

Lay the biscuits into the pan (the butter should be all melted by now) with the sides touching. It's totes OK if some of the butter squishes up between the biscuits. Be careful, that dish might be hot.

Bake in a 450°F oven for about 15 minutes until tops are golden brown.

Oh mama, these are good. Some of the best biscuits I've ever had or made. My whole family devoured the entire batch, right out of the pan, hot out of the oven. I hardly had time to slather on some jam and snap a picture before they were all gone. I've made two more batches in less than a week. They are that good. So, Bisquick, "I'm sorry I've snubbed you all these years." I've never been so delighted to be so wrong.

7Up Biscuits
Adapted from: http://janellescookbook.blogspot.com/2010/10/7-up-biscuits.html
2 C. Bisquick Baking Mix
1/2 C. sour cream
1/2 C. 7Up
1/4 C. butter

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Put the butter in an oven and microwave safe 8 in. by 8 in. baking dish. Microwave 20-30 seconds at a time until butter is almost all melted. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the sour cream and Bisquick until it resembles coarse meal. Gently stir in the 7Up until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and pat into an 8 in. by 8 in. square. Cut into 16 pieces. Lay the pieces into the baking dish with sides touching. Bake in a 450°F oven for 12-15 minutes until tops are golden. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment