Monday, January 10, 2011

Followers and Five Minute Cake

This post is dedicated to my first two followers, Frank and Lara. Over a year ago I posted this recipe in my Facebook notes and Lara suggested I start a food blog. I scoffed. . . I was a scoffer. Me? A writer? About food? Wow, she must have been crazy to think I could do something like that. Perhaps crazy like a fox because here I am, blogging and writing. . . about food. Thanks Lara! I'm also dedicating this to Frank, my first official follower. Frank and I work together and LOVE LOVE LOVE to talk about all things food. I can always rely on him for honest assessments about the recipes I make. He inspires me to keep cooking. A month or so ago I passed this recipe along to Frank, just for fun. A couple of days ago he told me how much fun he and his kids had making it. . . and it left me craving it. So I decided to include it as my next entry.
Thanks Frank!
Thanks Lara!
Thanks to all my future followers!

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Again, this ain't no highfalutin (how the heck to you spell that?) chocolate cake. I wouldn't serve it to company or boast about it's culinary merits. It won't win in a cooking contest and since it uses the microwave many chefs will probably "poo-poo" it. But I like it. Kids like it. It's easy. It's fun. It's totally weird. And it's chocolate. 'Nuf said.

A bit of a warning though. The texture is odd, I mean really odd. Sort of spongy, eggy, almost like a pudding rather than a cake. It definitely is helped by vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or whatever you like. Eat it right away, when it's still warm. It doesn't save. OK, you've been warned!

Here is what you'll need. Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, an egg, vanilla, vegetable oil, milk and chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are optional. You could use anything here, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, coconut, or nothing, whatever you like. I like the mini chocolate chips because they tend not to sink down to the bottom of the cup as much as the bigger chips.

Stir together the flour, sugar and cocoa powder. I like to use a small whisk for this. The original recipe tells you to mix it all in the mug that you'll cook it in, but I can never get it throughly mixed so I like to use a bowl.

Next add in the egg. Stir it all up, it will be kind of thick and gummy.
Then add the milk and oil and stir until smooth. You don't need to "beat it",
 just get it all good and mixed together.

Next add the vanilla and chocolate chips if you're using them.

Pour it into a microwave safe mug. This one holds 14 ounces and is kind of tall and skinny. You could go bigger but DO NOT go smaller. You'll get yourself into trouble.


Microwave it on high for 3 minutes. You'll want to grab your kids and watch because this is pretty cool. As it cooks it rises straight up out of the mug, a good 3 inches or more, and you're convinced that it's going to fall over but it doesn't. It's magical. This awful picture was taken just after 5 minutes and you can see the cake drops back down into the cup.

Let it cool a bit. The mug gets pretty hot, so be careful.

While it cools get something to go along with it. Whipped cream, ice cream, powdered sugar.  I let some frozen strawberries thaw, sprinkled them with a bit of sugar and mashed them up with a fork.

Then tip it out upside down onto a plate. WOW, that plate is orange. Looks pretty awful. Remind me to not use that plate for a photo EVER again! But see, it looks weird.

Cut yourself a big thick slice, oh, about an inch will do. Top it off and enjoy. This is definitely enough for two, three if you're all willing to share. 

Enjoy!
Becky

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE 
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe, we used a 14 oz. mug)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. 

1 comment: