Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Caramel Apple Pecan Pull Apart


I can't believe I've never made this before. It was so, so, so super easy. And delicious. I'm going to make it again and again and again. It was that easy and delicious.

I've heard of "Monkey Bread", know people who've made it and I've seen it for sale at the grocery store.  But, I've never been able to get past the name: Monkey Bread. Seriously, there isn't anything appetizing about Monkeys. Or maybe it's just me. I just don't think of food or eating when I think Monkey. It conjures other thoughts that, since this is a family friendly blog, I won't go in too. Enough said. So. . . I've renamed it "Pull Apart Bread". And that's all I've got to say about that.

Cinnamon and sugar are delicious together and I could have gone with the traditional formula but I wanted more. I searched several recipes and found one that had caramel. Ah, yes. . . but I still wanted more. Nuts? Yes! PECANS! My favorite nut. But I still wanted more.  Then looking at picture after picture of lumpy, cinnamony, sugary, Monk. . . Pull Apart Bread I couldn't help but think of apple fritters. Possibly the most unsung hero of the donut case. Yes! Apples. And so it was : Caramel Apple Pecan Pull Apart Bread. Win, win, win, win!

The players: Pecans (roughly chopped), apples (finely chopped), cinnamon, sugar, canned biscuits (Not the flakey kind, the cheapo kind.), brown sugar and butter.


Start by spraying a bundt or tube pan with Pam. Put about 1/3 of the pecans and apples in the bottom of the pan.


Mix together the cinnamon and sugar.


Open the biscuits and separate them. Roll each biscuit in the cinnamon-sugar.
Get 'em nice and coated.


Lay the biscuits in the pan.


After you have a layer of biscuits, add more apples and pecans sprinkling them around to the edges.


Keep layering until you use all the biscuits. The idea is to not be so neat and even with the biscuits. Just squish them in any old way.


Next melt the butter.


Then add the brown sugar and take it off the heat.


Stir it around until its all mixed together.


Then pour it over the biscuits. You can lift up a few biscuits here and then so it oozes through the cracks and crevices. I gave the pan a good whack or two on the counter to get the butter-brown sugar mixture to settle in. Then pop it into the oven.


Ohh, nice and golden brown.


Plop it out onto a serving plate. Then pull off delicious gooey chunks and enjoy.
Super easy, super good. Two things I love in a recipe.



Caramel Apple Pecan Pull Apart
1/2 C. chopped pecans
1 C. finely chopped apples
1/2 C. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
4 - 7.5 oz. cans biscuits (not the flakey kind)
6T. butter melted
3/4 C. brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350°F
Grease or spray a 12 cup tube or Bundt pan.
Sprinkle a third of the pecans and apples in the bottom of the pan.
In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar. Separate the biscuits and roll each in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Lay a single layer in the pan. Top with more apples and pecans. Then another layer of biscuits, squishing them around to fit. Continue layering until you have used all the biscuits.
Melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar. Pour over biscuits, lifting some up to allow mixture to seep around the biscuits.
Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Turn out onto a plate and serve while warm.

1 comment:

  1. Good blog! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!
    Visol VF3000 Stainless Steel Flask

    ReplyDelete