Monday, February 13, 2012

Two Ingredient Fudge


I've been perusing a lot of cooking blogs as of late and have discovered some new ones. My "recipes to try" file is seriously getting out of control. When my exploration led me to this recipe my interest was piqued. Seriously, "Two Ingredient Fudge". I had to try it. The super cute pink hearts certainly had something to do with it. To say I was skeptical is putting it mildly. It really couldn't be that easy. Two ingredients? I mean really, two ingredients? Could fudge be that easy? Have I been putting way too much effort into it all these years? I simply had to try it out. Here's how it went. . .

OK, I know, I said 2 ingredients and I'm showing 3. But, the sprinkles aren't really part of the recipe. What you do need is a can of frosting and a bag of chocolate chips.

Spray a 9x9 pan and line with a double thick strip of waxed paper. Spray the waxed paper as well. This will help you lift the fudge out of the pan in one big piece.

On the top of a double boiler (or in the microwave) melt the chocolate chips.

When they are all melted and smooth, remove from the heat.

Add the entire can of frosting and stir until both ingredients are completely combined.

Pour into the prepared pan and smooth flat. If you want to use sprinkles put them on before the fudge is set. Put the pan in the refrigerator for at least a 1/2 hour to set up.

Here is the chocolate (much tastier) version. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the fudge. Pull up firmly on the wax paper to remove the fudge from the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares or use a cookie cutter for festive shapes.

OK so my kids and husband liked both flavors but preferred the chocolate. Me, they were both a bit sweet and the strawberry was way, way too sweet. But, to be honest, I don't really care for the strawberry frosting to begin with. And, really, I'm not big on fudge. That being said, the texture was pretty fudge-like and you can't beat how easy this recipe was. (Let's just not think about all the funky stuff in canned frosting. YIKES!) It would be great for a Girl Scout or Boy Scout cooking project, a camping trip or an in-class demo for grade schoolers. The combinations of "chips" and frosting are endless: peanut butter chips and chocolate frosting, butterscotch chips and vanilla frosting, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. All and all I give this recipe a 10 for ease of preparation and a 7 for taste. 


Me, I'll probably stick to the Fantasy Fudge recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff jar. But, if you need a quick and easy treat for Valentine's Day, give it a whirl.


Here is a link to the post where I got the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment